Thursday, April 14, 2016

Happy Dance!....

Yep, that was me this morning when the phone call telling me that my serger, a Huskylock 936, was running again.  It's been 3 long weeks since I made the trek to the closest Husqvarna dealer.  I didn't know what was wrong just that it was grinding to a halt and locking up.  There wasn't a computer error which meant that it was most likely mechanic in natural.

Can you guess what was wrong other than the obvious lack of maintenance on the machine? I promise it will be a surprise.  The gears needed to be lubricated.  It had been about 8 years since the machine had been serviced and that was with a dealer who was a Husqvarna dealer when I took my machine in for repair but wasn't by the time I picked my machine up.  That particular dealer was 45 minutes or so from house.  The dealer that currently has my machine is about 1 1/2 hours from the house which makes for a long day.

The technician told me that these machines really needs to be serviced every 12 to 18 months so that the gears can be lubed.  However, he explained to me how to lube the machine myself so that I would not need to bring it in every year.  I will keep my gears lube in the future.  Note that this isn't something that the manual tells you to do.

Now, I know you are wondering if I there are actually any one who can service sewing machines that is closer and the answer is yes.  However, I learned the hard way not to take a machine to that location if they were not currently selling that brand because your machine will not work as expected when it is returned.  I learned that with a fabulous mid-80s Necchi that I truly loved and a Bernette serger.  I couldn't stand using either machine when they were returned because the adjustments were off just enough that the machines didn't feel right.  I sold the serger to someone else who loved it.

With any luck, I can pick up my serger this weekend.

Happy Stitching!



No comments:

Post a Comment