Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Silhouette Classic Blouse....

I had some time to start the fitting process of the Silhouette Classic Blouse pattern:


I traced the 5W size and added to the length of the blouse about 3 inches.  The pattern seemed very short to me.  Maybe I have a long torso.  I decided against making any additional changes to the pattern until I saw what it looked like.  I did pick the sizing by a blouse that I currently wear.  So here's my muslin:


Even though this is the muslin, I did stitch the entire blouse minus the hems, buttons and buttons.  In the picture above one shoulder is pinned up to match the shoulder slope.  That will be addressed on the pattern later.  Overall, I felt like the circumference at the bust was good until I started actually moving around a little bit.  Then, I realized for mobility I was going to need to move up to another size.  Although if a stretch fabric was used this size would probably work well.  Other issues:

1.  I didn't drape the bust darts and used the darts as drawn on the pattern. These darts will need to be shortened and lowered a little bit on the pattern.

2.  Neckline shaping is wrong for me. I know you can't tell by looking at the picture but it needs to be dropped by about an inch.  This will involved redrawing the neckline in the front and adding length at the center back of the collar.

3.  Circumference at hip - Remember I added 3 inches to the length?  I forgot to check the circumference to make sure it would go around my hip.  This is an easy fix.


Here's the back.  It's not too bad.  You can see the circumference issue at the hip line (mentioned in 3 above).  What I don't know is if wrinkling at center back is a sway back issue or if it is a circumference issue.  I don't know about the weird wrinkle on the sleeve.  I will need to go back to some of my fitting information and see if I can find it addressed somewhere.

Techniques in the pattern:
  1. Collar - the information on stitching the collar together is a little bit different and worked well. The instructions have you edge stitch the collar onto the neckline.  This was my first attempt at this type of application.  Although not perfect, it turned out well.  This will be good with practice.
  2. Facing - the facing on this pattern is the button/button hole band.  I will like this application,
  3. Sleeves - the instruction want you not to use pins.  This was really hard for me as I wanted to use pins through out the sleeve.  I used one pin to mark the matching point at the shoulder.  With practice, this could be a good technique.  

Conclusion:

I am definitely going to do another muslin in the next size up.  It could be that what I need to a mix of sizes to get a good fit.  I liked the sleeve except for the funky wrinkle at the back.  Off to do another muslin and see how it does.

Have you tried this pattern?  How did it turn out?  I would love to hear.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment