Thursday, May 6, 2021

Sewing Machines...

The last year has been hard on my sewing machine collection.  I have a Husqvarna Rose which was stitching just fine and I decided to drop the feed dogs.  This was a mistake.  There is a plastic part that that function depends on.  The feed dogs never came up again.  Okay, the machine has lived a long live.  I have had it more than 20 years and it was a used machine from the dealer.  I also have a Husqvarna Lisa which I purchased after the Rose so I could sew while the Rose was embroidering.  The Lisa is 20 years old this year.  I noticed that the stitches were no longer consistent.  I called the dealer about a repair and was told that parts were no longer available for that machine.  That made me so sad.  I really love using Lisa.  It is not a fancy machine.  It is computerized but it only has 29 stitches.  You can't purchase this type of machine anymore.  

I do have a collection of machines.  It is nice to have a machine that you can travel with.  With the Rose and Lisa down, the only traveling machine I have left is a Singer Featherweight.  This machine is fine for sewing wovens.  I am using it right now.  However, I think I may want another machine to replace the Rose and Lisa machines.  I spend most of my days at my parents and sew while I am hanging out with them.  So, my traveling machine spends all the time there.  I am not a hasty purchaser of sewing machines.  I like to look at them and try them out.  Is that really possible right now?

I have kinda narrowed it down to two or three or four machines:  Bernette 38 (then the Bernette 77 caught my attention) and Husqvarna Opal 670 or 690Q.   You know you can not look at these machines at the same store.  The Bernette machines have pretty much the same pricing across the board. They can be purchased on line.  The Husqvarna is a mystery.  You have to visit a store to find out the price. Sometimes, you can see prices on Pattern Review but amazingly no has reviewed an Opal in a while.  

If you have any thoughts on these machines, I would love to hear about them.

Happy Stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment