Friday, March 26, 2021

RTW Details...

 My niece asked if I could alter a pair of work pants for her.  I admit I hesitated because I really dislike doing alterations and I fear that others will want me to do the same.  However because the last year has been so rough on her,  I decided to give it a try.  She had lost her job and had been working three jobs until she found another full time job.  I glad I did.  I was very intrigued by the pocket on these pants:


This is perhaps the flattest pocket on pants that I have ever seen.  Here is a peek at the inside:


The pocket is one layer with the top sewn into the waist band.  Notice the stitch that is used is a stretch stitch.  My machine manual refers to this stitch as a Flatlock Stitch.  Also if you would look at the waistband in the first picture you will see that a Three Step Zip Zag is used in the middle of the waist band.

Because I am intrigued by the pocket, I decided to figure out how to do it.  The little flap at the top of the pocket actually hides the zippered pocket.  The flap was about 3/4" deep.  The technique is very similar to the technique that I use when making a pillow with a zipper.  The technique can be found in this tutorial on How to add a Zipper to a Pillow Cover.  That will most likely get the process started.  I would think that the flap itself needs to be deeper than the 1-inch in the tutorial maybe 1 1/4-inches.  The stitching line in the first phone is the line where the zipper is attached to the yoke.  So the yoke is lengthened by about 3/4" plus the return and seam which would probably mean that you need to add 2-inches to the yoke edge at the seamline.  

I think I'm going to play with this and see what I come up with.  If I do, I will create a tutorial.

What are your thoughts on this pocket?

Happy Stitching!  



No comments:

Post a Comment