Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Organization...Folding Fabric

I have been folding a lot of fabric the last four or five weeks.  In fact, I've found a lot of fabric that I did not remember having. Nothing more fun than finding cute/beautiful fabric that you have completely forgotten about.  However, it has caused a bit of storage problem.  Basically, I am using three ways to store fabric:

1.  Ruler method of folding fabric - In generally, you use a 6" x 24" ruler for this method.  It is very neat and you can store a lot of fabric using this method.  Here's a very quick youtube video on this method of folding.  This method works well with 1/2 yard and larger pieces of fabric.  I have been using it for fashion fabrics, quilting fabrics, and other types of fabric.

2.  Card method for folding fat quarters or pieces smaller than 1/2 yard -  I found the instructions for this fold at Nancy's Notions.  It is a pdf labeled Fat Quarter Poker.  At this point, I am not re-folding purchased bundles that are currently folded.  I have not decided yet how those will be displayed/stored.

3.  Scrap storage - I haven't figured out yet how this is going to work out but I'm going to give it a try so that I have access to fabric pieces that can't be folded using the method in item 2.  This method is described at this Quiltville link - Scrap Saver's System.

When I have finished the fabric organization, I will share pictures from the sewing room.  It may be a while as I still have a lot of fabric still in bags or boxes.

I would love to hear how wool fabrics are being stored to prevent infestations.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment