Saturday, October 8, 2011

Comparing patterns..

After spending a couple of hours trying on clothes and not finding anything that fit well. I came home and pulled out a couple of jean patterns. I have never made a pair of jeans but now is as good a time as any. Here's the jean patterns that I chose:



The first pattern is Silhouette patterns #3300 - Lana's Jean. This pattern has all the sizes the Peggy Sagers offers in her pattern line. I measured my hip as indicated in the pattern. Ugh! I choose a Size 18 based on that measurement. I have traced out the pattern and double-checked that it had been traced correctly. Although, I did note that there were notches missing on one of the patterns pieces.
The second pattern is McCall's 5894. This is a Palmer/Pletsch pattern. Unfortunately, I purchased the wrong size in this pattern but I decided to compare the size 16 to the Silhouette pattern size 18.

Much to my surprise the width of the patterns matched but that was the only thing that matched. The crotch curve is different between the two patterns with the Silhouette pattern having a more scooped curve (ok, this is an adjustment that I have done to other pant patterns in the past). I'm guessing that this would mean that the Silhouettes pattern actually has a little bit less ease that the McCall's but may fit the back a little bit better. As in it would cup the area better.

I will need to dig through the stash to find the denim that is I know is hidden there. Hopefully, I can get a muslin made in the next week or so.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment