Saturday, September 24, 2011

Fall is here but I'm not ready!

Fall is officially here.  I'm not ready for the cooler weather at all.  The early morning walks are getting harder to do.  It is getting cool enough that I need a jacket, at least to get started, and it is dark out when I start.  I will admit that I have seen some beautiful mornings.

My plan of not spending as much time on the computer is working fairly well.  I have been sewing.  Not a lot.  I had purchased new comforter, shams, and bed skirt for my room.  However, I never use the bed skirt and this one was really long. So, I took part of it to make a matching body pillow case.  Washing instructions for the bed skirt was dry clean only but you can not have a pillow case that is dry clean only.  So, I took a chance and washed it liked I would wash sheets and it turned out fine.  I still need to decide how I'm going to finish the hem but the serger makes really quick work of this stitching this type of project.  I do prefer french seams but this time it was just serged.

I have also been reviewing a chapter every day for the past week from Basics with Claire Shaffer Couture Techniques Workshop DVD .  I think it is a companion for the Couture Sewing by Claire Shaffer.  This has been a wonderful little DVD.  I have really enjoy seeing her show various techniques and garments from her collection.

Something else that I have been doing is teaching my son to cook.  It has been funny watching him use a knife. OK, I'll admit that it's scary too but he is afraid of the knife and tries to use it with one hand. That makes it a little bit tough to slice and dice.  I will keep working with him.  I have also been working with him on using a peeler.  Again, this has been an experience.  I really should have been working on this sooner because in just a few short years he will be exploring the world by himself and I would like to believe that he will be able to cook for himself.  In looking back on this, I have no memory of my own Mom helping me learn these skills.   I only remember making cookies and such.

Ok, enough rambling.  The dryer is calling.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment