Monday, October 31, 2016

Juki MO-1000 serger...

So, in my last post I admitted to purchasing the MO-1000.  In reading through the manual, there was a new-to-me stitch which I have had to investigate uses.  The stitch is a 3-thread super stretch.  For it to work, you have to have a stretch thread in the lower looper.  I think the thread that I had was a polyarn and it worked fine in creating the stitch.  Regular thread did nothing for this stitch except create an ugly stitch with lots of loops.  All the remaining stitches on the machine are straight forward, typical stitches that you find on a serger.  Due to sickness, I have not had time to push this machine yet but I'm ready to start using it.

Back to the 3-thread super stretch.  I sent a plea to the Juki serger list and didn't get a reply other than it's a 3-thread stitch and wouldn't be good for clothing.  Of course, my thought is that is what it was designed for.   What else do you use stretch fabric for?  So, I'm going to plan on making a knit top in the near future to test this stitch.  I'm not pushing too hard.  The worst spots for stretching will be the sleeves and the neck.  The hem will have to be done on the sewing machine unless I get creative and use a flatlock somehow.

I searched the internet for information on the 3-thread super stretch which lead me to Serger Pepper and the Serger Stitches Cheat Sheet.  The cheat sheet states that this stitch is for swimwear, leotards,.....   Doesn't it sound like it would work for leggings or yoga pants or whatever knit garment your thinking about?  This is the only site that I could find that references this particular stitch.

Now, are you interested in the differences in the 3-thread super stitch verses any other 3-thread stitch?  Most 3-thread stitches require either the left or right needle and both loopers. The three thread super stretch requires both needles and the lower looper.  This does require that you machine have the ability to block the upper looper.  It makes me wonder if any machine that has this ability can create this stitch.

What are your thoughts on this stitch? Have you tried it?  If so, how did it work out?  Hopefully, I will get to share the results from my test soon,  I'm trying to figure out what I did with the pattern that I was working on.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment