Monday, April 18, 2016

It Took 32 Years....

Thirty-two years ago my Grandmother gave me a bag with a quilt in as a wedding gift.  The quilt wasn't quite finished.  It needed the binding.  My Grandmother said the long arm quilter had messed up the backing on the quilt which she had intended to use as the binding.  Well, I didn't know what to do with the quilt and have carried it with me from house to house, from state to state.  Occasionally, I would take it out and look at it.  Each time, liking it a little better.  This winter I decided it was time to finish it.  Here are the results of "Grandma's Quilt" -



I can say with certainty that the long arm quilter messed up more than the backing on this quilt.  There were places where the batting was missing, the batting was quilted to the front of the quilt.  I did have to do a little stitch removal on it.  The quilt isn't even remotely square but I decided not to square it up.  I see it as part of the charm of the quilt.

Here's a close up of one of the squares:


I'm not sure if  this particular pattern has a name but I'm sure is it a postage stamp variation.  I did find a look alike on pinterest that called it a Postage Stamp 9x9.  It is definitely a wonderful, scrappy sort of quilt.  My Mom said that many of the fabrics were most likely a flour sack.  There are many unusual fabrics in the quilt.  I was a little afraid of washing it but I did and it turned out fine.  Currently, I working through the process of stain removal.

I have lots of wonderful memories of my Grandmother.  She taught me how to crochet and use it to decorate towels and such.  She purchased my first sewing machine for me.  It was a beautiful turquoise color.  The one thing she never showed were her quilts or any of her quilt designs.  I did find a book that had one of her designs in it but have been unable to locate any of the other published designs.  As a child, I most likely slept under the quilts that she had made.

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment