Tuesday, August 4, 2015

July's Garden...

June may have been cool and extremely wet but July has been equally hot and dry.  That hasn't slowed down the garden much.  Here are the totals:

1.  Peas - 15 3/8 oz  - that's it.  The vines have been removed.
2.  Radishes - 9 1/4 oz - that's it till it cools down in September.
3.  Red Tomatoes - 7 lbs 3 3/4 oz = this is a mix between bronze, grape, cherry, and early varieties.  Due to disease, the heirloom variety were removed.  So there will not be any giant tomatoes this year.
4.  Yellow squash - 25lbs 6oz = this is a mix between yellow straight and crookneck
5.  Zucchini squash - 27 lbs 7 1/4oz
6.  Apples, Lodi variety - 38lb 14 1/4 oz - There were more apples given away than weighted.  This apple makes a wonderful apple pie, apple preserves, and some great applesauce.  Unfortunately, it only lasted for a few days after it has been picked.
7. Broccoli - 2 lbs 7 3/4oz - I always wonder whether growing your own is worth it. If my son didn't gobble it down I probably wouldn't bother because it does take up garden space.
8.  Green beans - 5 lbs 6 3/4 oz = this is mixed varieties
9.  Wax beans - 1 lb 5 5/8 oz - mixed varieties
10.  Yellow tomatoes (pear) - 3/8oz - I suspect many of these were snacked on in the garden.
11.  Basil - 1/2 oz
12.  Garlic - 3/4oz - The garlic has been harvested but as with many items we forgot to weight it.  This year's harvest was smaller than normal.
13.  Carrots - 1 7/8oz - this is really just thinning them out but the little carrots are edible.
14.  Cucumber - 8oz - this is amazing.  The first cucumber we have gotten in years.
15.  Bell Pepper - 2 3/8 oz - this was picked because I needed a pepper for dinner.  It was little but serviced the purpose.
16.  Cayenne Pepper - 1 3/8oz - think I missed weighing some of these but they are drying
17. Jalapeno Pepper - 7/8oz - again needed for dinner but isn't that what the garden is for?

I have no doubt that everything wasn't counted that came out of the garden.  It was sad that our lettuce beds didn't survive but we do have more planted and it is growing probably another week and it will be ready to pick.

I did make Apple Preserves around 15 or 16 1/2 pints and Nectarine-Mango jam around 15 1/2 pints. My husband makes and cans the apples sauce.  I do not know how much was canned but not the entire 38 pounds because some of it became apple pies.

My neighbors tired of seeing me coming with squash so I finally gave up and figured out a couple of ways to freeze it for later use.  No one disappeared when I showed up with apple sauce.  LOL

I did get the Butterick patterns that I was interested in when the last sale happened so I've been searching for appropriate fabric.  You know that the appropriate fabric is rarely located in the fabric stash and I do try really hard for new fabric not to actually become part of the stash.

Happy Stitching or Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment