Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Perfect Fabric....

I want to make this dress:


It's Butterick 6090.  At first glance, it is just another shirt dress but it has a very interesting collar.  Here's the line drawing:

Love the collar on this dress.  However, when I received the pattern, I realized that the recommended fabric were challis and crepe.  So, I was on the hunt for the perfect fabric.  Could I find anything in a challis print that I wanted?  No.  I looked at many on-line fabric stores and couldn't find anything.  Fast forward a few days and I'm digging through the stash looking for fabric to make my vests.  Of course, I'm getting a little side tracked because I keep finding fabric that I love.  Then, I spotted it.  The perfect challis for the dress:


Not exactly in the colors I had chosen for fall/winter but there is black in the print which means if I make or buy a black jacket(s) it will most likely coordinate.  Then, I checked the yardage and amazingly there is enough to make the dress.  I am thrilled that the perfect fabric was in stash.  Now, I just need to locate a similar weight fabric for a muslin.

Do you have a fabric stash?  How often do you really find yourself digging through the older fabric to use it? or like me, are you generally more tempted by the new fabric?

Happy Stitching!



No comments:

Post a Comment