Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Annual Fabric Sale

Does your area have an annual fabric/craft sale by the Salvation Army?  The area I live in does.  It is usually packed with all kinds of things - upholstery, all kinds of apparel fabric, quilting fabric, sewing notions and tools, sewing machines, patterns for sewing, patterns for knitting & crotcheting, cross stitch, yarns, etc.  I think you get the idea.  I found the most beautiful old sewing machine in a wooden case.  I was very tempted but really I don't need any more machines nor do I have the space.

I went early thinking the lines would be long and I would be standing in the cold for a long time.  I stopped and got a little cup of coffee and drove over to the park.  When I pulled up, I saw people carrying rolls of fabric.  They opened early.  I didn't get to drink my coffee as there were no lines.  Here's my haul:


Before I went in, I told myself I would not look at the fabric.  As you can see, I found a piece.  I saw it and knew  it would be perfect to try the techniques in the Couture Cardigan Jacket book by Claire Shaeffer.  At least, that is what I keep telling myself.


Items for pressing,  These will be nice additions to the sewing area at work.


 A booklet on knit dishcloths.  How could I pass this up?  I have taken up knitting again and this would be a very nice portable project for times when I'm on the go and waiting at appointments.  Who can resist small practice pieces that are actually usable?  I have enough yarn at home to make 5 dishcloths.  I wonder which ones I will pick.


Rulers.  Who can resist this?  I paid 50 cents for all four pieces.  Some of these will go to work, some will stay home.  I haven't decided yet which will go where.

For some reason, it hit me where all this stuff comes from.  It made me realize that I really need to do something with my own stash of fabric and stuff.  Otherwise, my son will be dumping all of my stuff at the very same place.  He won't see the value in any of it.  So, I guess I need to do something with it.

Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment